Tifton Grapevine - Local News, Views & Previews

A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF THE TIFTON GAZETTE

Categories

GUEST COLUMN
powered by

Beyond the Grapevine

Remembering a Presidential Inauguration -- 40 Years Later

The day dawned bright and frosty in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, Jan. 20, 1977. Although the sun was shining, the temperature was in the teens and a recent snowfall had left mounds of ice and snow in yards and alongside roads.

As I headed to an early morning religious service at the Lincoln Memorial, a radio commercial noted a closeout sale at "Jerry's Ford," a local car dealership; on this day President Gerald Fordwould be succeeded by Jimmy Carter, the former Georgia governor who lived in Plains, just up the road from Tifton outside Americus.

I was a young journalist covering my first inaugural. At the Lincoln Memorial that morning, the Rev. Martin Luther King Sr., "Daddy King" of Atlanta, spoke on the steps: "I am on hallowed ground where, not quite 14 years ago, my son stoodhere and delivered his great speech, 'I have a dream....' "

The elder King said that "Martin Luther King Jr. gave his life" so that the "poor and oppressed will never be forgotten," and he implored the incoming president to remember those less fortunate.

By the time the 39th president took his oath of office at noon, th temperature had climbed to a balmy 28 degrees. From my vantage point on the Senate wing steps at the east front of the Capitol, I could see Carter and Ford at the podium, although they were quite a distance away.

Following the swearing-in ceremony, Carter became the first president to walk from the Capitol to the  in the post-ceremony parade. When the Carters stopped their limousine, got out and began walking, a roar went up from the crowd around them.

At the end of the long day, following the inaugural parade, I found a discarded Nixonmask left on the grounds of the National Mall. Watergate and Vietnam were just a few years behind us, and, as with any inaugural, there was hope for a new day ahead.

Of the many words Carter spoke that day 40 years ago, these are the ones I remember: "Let us learn together and laugh together and work together and pray together, confident that in the end we will triumph together in the right."

8 Comments to Remembering a Presidential Inauguration -- 40 Years Later:

Comments RSS
http://essaymama.org on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:20 AM
You are the way to give the good knowledge about the bible. Every day you post the good information which is very meaningful to me. I learn lots of the things on your site and your articles are so religious and give the relaxation. Thank you very much.
Reply to comment

pokemon tgc codes on Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:45 AM
You could obtain this impressive pre-customized motif deck absolutely free using the code flashfire. Hello there I play the pokemon tcg online video game yet however I am incapable to manage the packs I would certainly value it if any person sent me some codes ideally in an exclusive message given that the codes appear to obtain snagged up promptly when uploaded in the string. This program creates hundreds of codes each 2nd using your computer systems calculating power. This permits you to either snipe something unemployed, or raise your complete damages to the Energetic Pokemon.
Reply to comment

professional essay writers online on Monday, May 29, 2017 8:20 AM
The whole article is very much impressive for me. The selection of the title also very amazing and every word of this article give a different taste and I read it full of fun and I feel so happy after reading this article. The article quite wonderful.
Reply to comment

aussie writer on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 2:07 PM
Pretty part of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Reply to comment

myessayslab.com on Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:16 PM
Wow, what an inspirational story. This is a very interesting person and I'm going to write about him in my new essay. My college education makes me move on. I love writing and participating in different projects.
Reply to comment

Anonymous on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 2:45 PM
Reply to comment

Captain America Winter Soldier Jacket Buy Movie Jackets on Saturday, August 12, 2017 3:13 AM
Washington, DC, the U.S. capital, is a minimal city on the Potomac River, circumscribing the conditions of Maryland and Virginia. It's characterized by forcing neoclassical landmarks and structures including the famous ones that house the government's 3 branches: the Capitol, White House and Supreme Court.
Reply to comment

cafe racer jacket on Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:57 AM
Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone.
Reply to comment