Tifton Grapevine - Local News, Views & Previews

A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF THE TIFTON GAZETTE

Categories

GUEST COLUMN
powered by

Beyond the Grapevine

SUMMER 2016: A Season of Possibilities

"Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day in the year and then miss it." ~  Daisy Buchanan in "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

By Frank Sayles Jr.

Summer is a time of possibilities. The days are longer; the skies are brighter; the world is warmer.

The hot South Georgia sun hugs us closely, its warm, whispery breath on our necks. A hazy veil falls upon the land and shrouds our lazy days of longing amid, what Joni Mitchell calls, "the hissing of summer lawns."

The other night, I spied the intermittent blinking of lightning bugs, the first ones that I have seen in the city in years. As children, we would catch them in old mayonnaise jars, punching holes in the metal lids to allow air. We would place the jars on our nightstand as we went to sleep, but always the "fireflies" would be dead come morning; they would never last the short night.

So too, summer would not last. Far too soon, we would return to school and have to put away the shiny things of summer. Before long, a crispness would return to the air as summer became but a pleasant memory fading away to another autumn.

Thus, the cycle continues. Summer officially arrived at 6:34 p.m.  Monday, making it the longest day of the year with about 15 hours of sunlight. For local school children, their summer began a month ago and will end in a short six weeks or so.

Don't miss the summer for it is here now; and its possibilities are indeed endless. We are in the primordial season of renewal.

As F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote in "The Great Gatsby":  "And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer."

We have the power to create the future, for it is summer and the days are long.

8 Comments to SUMMER 2016: A Season of Possibilities:

Comments RSS
Brandon Gray on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 3:12 AM
I am pleased to read what you are sharing here :)
Reply to comment

essay for you on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 3:23 AM
No doubt, Summer comes with long lasting days, lot of warmth and short nights. In this all, one has lot of possibilities for making their summer season enjoyable and memorable with love ones. Your planning is great and coincidentally, I am also thinking the same.

roblox hack on Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:46 AM
This robux generator is regarded as one of the most unique as well as advantageous hack tool for the robux video game. We will certainly below obtain you couple of important ones and also the shared info will certainly eliminate all your questions and worries regarding the hack tool. In another day, we will launch more rate of interest functions on this roblox hack since this only could secure free robux only currently. As well as you have actually done all that, you collected robux totally free by playing the game daily, you got robux for money and afterwards you see some kid that is full with Robux.
Reply to comment

buy jackets online on Friday, June 02, 2017 7:26 AM
You are the way to give the good knowledge about the bible. Every day you post the good information which is very meaningful to me. I learn lots of the things on your site and your articles are so religious and give the relaxation. Thank you very much
Reply to comment

http://thewritersdailyword.com on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:28 AM
I always watch for the longest day of the year and newer miss it. And I'm trying not to miss all the opportunities I face during the shortest days either. And I agree that we have the power to create the future.
Reply to comment

Anonymous on Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:35 PM
Reply to comment

ebuddy news on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:03 AM
This is an amazing post. I want to read more about this. I want to thank you for this informative read. I really appreciate sharing this great.
Reply to comment

Blade Runner 2049 Coat< on Monday, November 06, 2017 8:06 AM
The show will end after this season as that was decided on and announced before.39;s Premiere, the network is probably dong the show a favor! Too many changes in the core characters.
Reply to comment